Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Directorial debut: Kanye West - 'RUNAWAY'

Over that last few days our class was shown Kanye West's debut film "Runaway"
I went into this prepared to dislike it just as much as I do Kanye's general attitude and was BEYOND surprised to be drawn into not just the artistic abstract visuals, but the over laying tracks as well.
Seeing as this was West's acting and directorial debut I wasn't surprised to see some stiff line reciting from the man, as well as a few badly lit scenes.
The film was an abstract wonder and each scene contributed to the over arcing story which unfolded song by head-bobbing, foot-tapping song.
Fan or not give this short a try if for no other reason than as a 'test run' of Kanye's new album (The film features five or six songs from his new album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Secret')
Check it out! It may change the way you view Mr. West.

2 comments:

  1. Artistic abstract visuals eh? Sounds interesting. I like this review. Is the movie anything like his videos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a huge fan of kanye's before so I didn't pay much attention to his music videos.
    Try youtubing some to find out?

    ReplyDelete